ebay Halo LED fog Light install with Angel Eye LED Switches
How to Install Fog Lights
Installing new fog lights on your vehicle can greatly improve your visibility in poor weather conditions. Most kits come with detailed instructions on how to install them, and are designed for those with little to no wiring experience. Installing fog lights will be different on every car model. Follow these general steps for a guide on getting started.
Choosing Your Fog Lights
Check your local laws.Some areas have restrictions on the type and color of lights you can install. Check your local regulations to make sure that your new lights are in compliance. Not all fog lights are approved for road use by the Department of Transportation.
Choose your bulb type.There are three main types of bulbs available for fog lights. Pick the style that you find most useful.
- LED (Light Emitting Diodes) are very bright and have a long life. They also use less energy and are not as prone to vibration. The downside is their cost, as they are quite a bit more expensive than halogens.
- HID (High Intensity Discharge) use xenon gas to produce a high quantity of bright light. HIDs are popular because the light produced is closer to daytime light.
- Halogen is the oldest type of light, but also the most widely available and cheapest to obtain. It is made with a single filament bulb and halogen gas. These lights typically run hot and are prone to burnouts.
Choose the style of lights.There are a large variety of fog light styles available, but they all break down into three mounting categories. Decide which style fits your vehicle best.
- Bumper Mount. Bumper mount lights fit in specifically designed holes and are usually round or rectangular. This style is the way that most fog lights come from the factory. If you’re replacing your stock fog lights, this is where to start.
- Grill Mount. Larger, usually round. These lights are installed on the front grille or mounted directly behind it. This style is typically seen more with trucks and SUVs.
- Rack Mount. Round or rectangular lights. These are mounted above the vehicle or onto a front brush guard. This style is also seen more with trucks and SUVs.
Install Your Fog Lights
Make sure your vehicle is parked and turned off.Try to have it on as level a surface as possible. Engage the parking brake.
Open the hood.Bumper mounted fog lights are typically below the headlights. Check your vehicle manual if you have difficulty locating them.
Disconnect the fog light switch from the housing.This disconnects the fog light from the vehicle’s power system. It should disconnect by detaching the clip.
Remove the washer, bolt, and nut.This will allow you to remove the fog light housing. Make sure that you hold on to all your parts until the installation is complete.
Remove the housing.Be careful not to scratch the bumper. If you are installing grille or roof-mounted lights, lift away from the vehicle to be sure to avoid scratching the roof or body.
Insert the new fog light.The housing should fit into the space left by the old one. If it does not, you may have purchased the incorrect headlights.
- Make sure that the bolt holes line up; otherwise you may have to drill new ones.
Insert the bolt.Thread the washer and nut over the bolt, tightening with a ratchet or wrench. Do not over tighten as you may damage the fog light housing or the vehicle. The housing should be snug and immobile.
Reattach the switch.Reconnect the fog light switch using the clip. The new fog light should now be properly powered by the vehicle’s battery.
Start the ignition.Test your new lights. Ensure that the angle is good for visibility and won’t shine in other drivers’ eyes.
QuestionHow do I install fog lights if there's no wiring or switch to connect them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPurchase a kit that includes the wiring.Thanks!
QuestionHow is the wiring secured around the engine?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerZipties and electrical conduit. Pay attention and don't let slack fall onto the radiator, fans, belts, or the engine itself.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I know what bulb to replace the old one with?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPull out the old one and take it to an auto parts store, they will know what to sell you. Make sure to replace in pairs, and tell them that they need to be street legal -- fog lights use special bulbs that are physically similar to, but can be made very powerful, and are designed for off-road use on vehicles like jeeps.Thanks!
QuestionI bought a new set of Blazer headlights. Are brass rings attached by a wire on the bottom of both lights? I found this odd. But to get to my question: the lights fail to come on. The power switch lights up, but that's it. Any idea why this is happening?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe brass rings are probably intended to ground the lights. And if they aren't attached to a ground, that's probably why your lights won't work.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I install exterior accent lights on a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta where the fog lights go?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou'll need, a Dremel to cut out the holes on the front bumper to be able to mount the lights underneath, and extra wiring connections to tie the lights into your existing electrical system. As an added idea, consider adding an extra set on the bottom of the rear bumper to aid in backing up at night.Thanks!
Hi how do I fix the fog light! The glow under or upwards?
Where do the wires from the fog lights go to? Where do the wires go to the 3 wire switch?
Where do I plug in the fog light?
What do I do if the harness to plug the fog lights in seems to be missing?
How do I install fog lights?
- If you are replacing the bulb and not the housing, be sure to replace the bulb with the same type.
- Be sure that the car is completely off before installing new lights.
- Never touch the bulb directly with your bare hands.
Things You'll Need
Wrench or ratchet
Fog light kit
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Français: , Español: , Deutsch: , Italiano: , Português: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , 中文: , Nederlands: , ไทย: , हिन्दी:
Video: How to install front fog lights
How to Make Any Girl Go Crazy over You
Restaurant Review: Kouzu
Community Events Chronicler With MS Plans His Own Next Move
Stephen Tompkinson interview
Katie Price crosses out Pete tattoo
Fashion Week Diary: Day 5 With StyleCaster’s ContentManager
6 Little Ways To Make Going Gluten-Free Easier
3 Simple Moves For Stronger Shoulders
HPV Test Beats Pap Smear in Gauging Cervical Cancer Risk
10 Drugstore Beauty Classics You Should Absolutely Own
Basic Spritz Cookies
MH Tests: Microsoft Band
10 Cool Crew Cut Haircuts for Men in 2019
How to Treat Corns and Calluses