How to determine the authenticity of agate?
Gold earrings with diamonds, topazes and black agates, SL;gold ring with diamonds, topazes and black agates, SL(price by reference)
How to fake natural agate
The layered variety of chalcedony is famous for its richness of shades and patterns, although minerals are more often found in the gray-blue range. Natural agate is mined in Russia, China, Brazil, India and other countries. Jewelry looks very attractive, the interior details are made of this popular jewelry-ornamental stone. If it were not for one “but” ...
The authenticity of the gems is questionable and not without reason. The market was flooded with imitation of semi-precious stones from plastics and resin. But how can a buyer distinguish natural agate from its counterfeits in order to enjoy the natural beauty? You should be prepared for the fact that the fakes are bright and cheap semiprecious stones.
Tinted agate - minerals treated with chemicals to enhance the natural color or to obtain the desired color.
Artificial - create from stone chips; synthetic made from plastic and glass.
Natural stones are treated with solutions of acids and alkalis, metal salts. Black and brown agate are obtained when the mineral is kept in sugar syrup, followed by treatment with sulfuric acid. Combining staining with roasting or other types of heat treatment. Contrast temperatures cause the appearance of cracks, and filling them with paint gives the effect of "moss" or "veins of the dragon."
How to distinguish fake agate from natural stone
Knowing how to verify the authenticity of the mineral, it is easier to avoid embarrassment, waste. There are many who want to become owners of valuable varieties of agate with an unusual moss and eye texture.Others are attracted by black and white stones, behind which stretches a train of legends about magical properties.
Selecting stones, talismans and amulets of agate, consider the existence of fakes. The true color of a natural mineral may differ from the one it acquires after processing for the manufacture of rosaries, beads, rings and bracelets.
Gold pendant with diamonds and white agate, SL;gold earrings with diamonds and white agate, SL;gold ring with diamonds and white agate, SL(prices link)
How to determine the authenticity of agate - instruction:
- Colour.The contrast of inclusions and sharp transitions are not typical for natural stone. Therefore, first of all, pay attention to the color intensity, rich color gamut. The reason for doubt is pure black, shades unnaturally bright for agate (green, bright blue, purple, crimson, lemon). Another property of fakes is monochromatic coloring, without stripes, lines.
- Shine and transparency.If it turns out to consider a fracture, then it is matte in agate. Polished stone acquires a glass shine. Agate is opaque, but its thin plates shine through.
- Temperature.Agate slowly heats up, like other natural stones. If you apply natural agate to the inner bend of the elbow or wrist, then the coolness is felt for at least 30 seconds. Glass and plastic "stones" heat up in seconds.
- Hardness.The hardest mineral is diamond (10 on the Mohs scale). Natural agate also has a relatively high hardness (6; 7) and leaves a scratch on the glass. Pressed crumb stone is fragile. When pressing with a sharp needle, the pieces will be broken off (the test should be carried out on an inconspicuous part of the decoration).
- Solubility.Dip half of the pebble into the water and leave for 2–3 hours. If the part that was in the liquid has changed color, has faded, then the agate is artificial. Genuine precious and semiprecious stones do not dissolve in water. Many acids are not active on agate.
Tinted, artificial and synthetic agates due to the presence of foreign chemicals can harm the health of the wearer.
- Acquired skillsUse fake recognition tools directly in the store or boutique. If you find a counterfeit at home, take it back to the seller.
It is recommended to refrain from buying, if a non-conformity of the stone to the above characteristics is revealed. Suspicion should cause cheap mineral with an unusual pattern. Agates with an original pattern belong to the same class of precious stones as amber, turquoise.
To avoid gross fakes, use the instruction "How to determine the authenticity of agate." However, the option of applying to a professional gemologist or a gemstone estimator is not excluded. This step is important for those who wish to acquire a talisman using natural agate, to replenish the jewelry box or their collection of minerals.
How many calories in a chop
How to disassemble the Nokia X2
Talisman for the summer: decorations with butterflies
How to wean a cat from dry food
How to make a thin waist
How to edit a PDF document
How to reinforce the foundation
Amazingly simple way to freshen up the room